Holy Cow...I Won!
In my effort to find a way to be involved at the middle school, I saw that there was a vacancy on their Community Council (basically the group that oversees the trust lands money distribution at each school, and ensures that the school is moving in a positive direction that meets the needs of all students, etc.), and submitted my name for the election. I served on the CC at the elementary school for 4 years and there was no one fighting to be on it (which is unfortunate, because it is an awesome way to stay informed and involved), so when I sent in my name, I expected no competition. I found out on "election day" that there were 4 of us and the odds of me winning seemed slim since no one that knew me knew I was even running, and you had to vote in person. I called a few neighbors at the last minute, but to my knowledge, no one was able to go in. So, I figured, oh well...one less thing to worry about.
Anyway, I'd sort of forgotten about it, and never heard anything, so I assumed it was over. But, alas, I read this in the PTA newsletter today:
"Lisa Jensen (former Provost Elementary PTA President) has been elected to the CMS Community Council. She joins CMS parents..[1,2&3]...and faculty members..[1,2&3]."
I'd like to think it was my awesome bio showing how highly qualified I was for the position that won everyone over, but the reality probably is that there is this other very visible public servant who lives up in the northern part of town that people always think is me -- who happens to have the same name. They probably didn't know who they were voting for. Thank heavens people like her. I guess the other very real possibility is that only 5 people voted -- and 2 of them voted for me. Whatever the case, I WON SOMETHING. This is big! I haven't won anything since that nerd contest in high school, or that coloring contest at Smith's grocery store, or when I was the first caller on the radio show and won an Atari game. Woo hoo!
Anyway, I'd sort of forgotten about it, and never heard anything, so I assumed it was over. But, alas, I read this in the PTA newsletter today:
"Lisa Jensen (former Provost Elementary PTA President) has been elected to the CMS Community Council. She joins CMS parents..[1,2&3]...and faculty members..[1,2&3]."
I'd like to think it was my awesome bio showing how highly qualified I was for the position that won everyone over, but the reality probably is that there is this other very visible public servant who lives up in the northern part of town that people always think is me -- who happens to have the same name. They probably didn't know who they were voting for. Thank heavens people like her. I guess the other very real possibility is that only 5 people voted -- and 2 of them voted for me. Whatever the case, I WON SOMETHING. This is big! I haven't won anything since that nerd contest in high school, or that coloring contest at Smith's grocery store, or when I was the first caller on the radio show and won an Atari game. Woo hoo!
That's awesome!
ReplyDeleteYea for you! I tried to vote, so I'm glad someone else actually did. What an amazing turnout, though! Nice to know someone now with connections!
ReplyDelete