"Hey Kids...Candy...Here...in Bucket!"
As the years pass, I am less enthusiastic about Halloween. Really the only merit I see in it is the creative outlet for kids coming up with a costume, and the occasional sewing experimentation required on my part. But, this year I at least enjoyed watching Ian discover the great thing that Halloween is to kids...CANDY. He was completely indifferent and uninterested when we tried to get him to dress up. But, finally, I layed it on the line and told him if he'd put on his cow costume that he could have some candy. That did it. He was scared by the room full of kids in costume at the church festival. He was overwhelmed by the throngs of costumed people -- big and little -- when we trick-or-treated at dad's work. He was unsure of the idea of walking around the neighborhood in costume. But, he finally joined in the fun wholeheartedly when he saw the CANDY!!! I now store his bucket on my highest furniture hutch in my room because he wants to eat it all day long.

Trick or treating at Lee's work: Lee was a chess piece (you can't see his crown); Mckay is a lego man; Sam is a bat; Lizzie is Minnie Mouse; and Ian is a cow. (Dillon was at a birthday party and decided it was a fair trade to miss trick or treating as long as he got to have some of Ian's candy.)
We had a blast making homemade root beer for the first time!
Dillon, the soccer player, and Lizzie.

The cutest part was after Ian was done trick or treating and he joined with Lee sitting on the front porch while I took Lizzie and Dillon to a few more houses. As Lee was doing his traditional heckling of passers-by, Ian stood by his side and yelled to everyone "Hey kids!...candy here...in bucket!" He was so desperately trying to make sure they didn't miss out on the goods. His excitement at last was worth all the hassle of this otherwise pointless celebrating.
Trick or treating at Lee's work: Lee was a chess piece (you can't see his crown); Mckay is a lego man; Sam is a bat; Lizzie is Minnie Mouse; and Ian is a cow. (Dillon was at a birthday party and decided it was a fair trade to miss trick or treating as long as he got to have some of Ian's candy.)
We had a blast making homemade root beer for the first time!
Dillon, the soccer player, and Lizzie.
The cutest part was after Ian was done trick or treating and he joined with Lee sitting on the front porch while I took Lizzie and Dillon to a few more houses. As Lee was doing his traditional heckling of passers-by, Ian stood by his side and yelled to everyone "Hey kids!...candy here...in bucket!" He was so desperately trying to make sure they didn't miss out on the goods. His excitement at last was worth all the hassle of this otherwise pointless celebrating.
I could really care less about Halloween, but I won't get started here. This year was one of my favorite Halloweens because none of our kids chose a costume that required me to do anything. It was fabulous. I bought candy, a pumpkin, and glow sticks. Done. Good for you for actually sewing. That's amazing of you!
ReplyDelete