I Have a Dream
We had a "dream" party last night for Family Home Evening, where each of us was supposed to contribute something about having a dream in honor of Civil Rights' Day. My contribution was the ABBA song that I'd had in my head all week, which I finally looked up the lyrics to so that I could sing more than the first line. Lee's contribution -- which as usual was much deeper and more substantial than mine -- was about Martin Luther King Jr. He shared segments of the speech given the night before Martin Luther King was assassinated. The speech was entitled "I've Been to the Mountain" and though I'd heard parts of it before, I'd never really pondered on the symbolism of it.
In the speech, Martin Luther King Jr. states that he had "been to the mountain" which I'd always just assumed, since he was a preacher, meant that he'd experienced persecution and the Lord had comforted him. Here's an excerpt from the end:
"Well, I don't know what will happen now. We've got some difficult days ahead. But it doesn't matter with me now. Because I've been to the mountaintop. And I don't mind. Like anybody, I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the promised land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people, will get to the promised land. So I'm happy, tonight. I'm not worried about anything. I'm not fearing any man. Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord."
Lee pointed out that prior to Moses' death, he too went to the top of the mountain, where the Lord showed him the view down into the promised land, which as we know, Moses never made it into, despite all that the Israelites had endured together throughout the previous years. So, with that in mind, Martin Luther King Jr.'s words that he knew progress was coming and that they would soon be delivered and that he may not be alive to lead them, etc. seem much deeper and more meaningful. I never realized how much of a modern day Moses he was. It made me marvel at his bravery to continue working so hard toward something that would lead to a better life for so many despite the danger and trial it was to him and to his family.
It was just a very powerful reminder to me that the Lord has his hand in so many aspects of our lives -- allowing us to have trials, but enabling us to make a difference if each of us does a little to help. And that the spirit can be a powerful influence in the life of any man/woman who is working hard to do what is right. I hope we all listen to the promptings that we receive to make the world a better place and to stand strong for what is right and good.
I continually marvel that the issues in 1968 ever existed when you look at the freedoms we all enjoy today. It's hard to imagine that practically in my lifetime, things have turned completely around. I hope that he would be proud to witness America today.
In the speech, Martin Luther King Jr. states that he had "been to the mountain" which I'd always just assumed, since he was a preacher, meant that he'd experienced persecution and the Lord had comforted him. Here's an excerpt from the end:
"Well, I don't know what will happen now. We've got some difficult days ahead. But it doesn't matter with me now. Because I've been to the mountaintop. And I don't mind. Like anybody, I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the promised land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people, will get to the promised land. So I'm happy, tonight. I'm not worried about anything. I'm not fearing any man. Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord."
Lee pointed out that prior to Moses' death, he too went to the top of the mountain, where the Lord showed him the view down into the promised land, which as we know, Moses never made it into, despite all that the Israelites had endured together throughout the previous years. So, with that in mind, Martin Luther King Jr.'s words that he knew progress was coming and that they would soon be delivered and that he may not be alive to lead them, etc. seem much deeper and more meaningful. I never realized how much of a modern day Moses he was. It made me marvel at his bravery to continue working so hard toward something that would lead to a better life for so many despite the danger and trial it was to him and to his family.
It was just a very powerful reminder to me that the Lord has his hand in so many aspects of our lives -- allowing us to have trials, but enabling us to make a difference if each of us does a little to help. And that the spirit can be a powerful influence in the life of any man/woman who is working hard to do what is right. I hope we all listen to the promptings that we receive to make the world a better place and to stand strong for what is right and good.
I continually marvel that the issues in 1968 ever existed when you look at the freedoms we all enjoy today. It's hard to imagine that practically in my lifetime, things have turned completely around. I hope that he would be proud to witness America today.
Comments
Post a Comment