All within 24 Hours
I keep waiting for summer to slow down! This week, though seemingly uneventful, was filled with endless appointments and things to do. We started having fun on Friday, though when I finally gave in and let the kids have a Sno Cone sale.

I woke up early Saturday morning to see the partial lunar eclipse (I know it's a bad picture...but it was the best I could do at 4am, trying not to wake everyone up).

Then I took Mckay, with binoculars and breakfast, to see the turkey vultures that we just found out about. They live in the trees above the apartment we lived in as newlyweds. Lee and I had seen them on Friday night while on our date, so I thought Mckay would enjoy going with me. We were a little disappointed to see that there were only about 5 of them in the trees and they soon flew west another block and we began gathering our stuff to leave. But, then one by one, they took off and before we knew it there were 30 of them circling overhead. Totally cool. That also answers my question about what type of birds I have seen circling for the past few years from the canyon cliffs, down to wherever the winds take them. I learned today that turkey vultures can circle on air currents without flapping their wings for up to 6 hours!

After our bird watching, I raced home to get the little kids to watch the children's parade. It has been a tradition of ours to ride in the children's parade every year, but I didn't have the energy to decorate bikes and faces and wait in the heat for our place in line. I was a horrible mother and didn't even TELL them that there was a parade this year. But, I snapped at the last minute and brought them back, telling them that watching was more fun anyway. They were easily convinced when they came home with pockets FULL of candy, no work required, and we sat in the shade the whole time. Maybe this will start a new and simpler tradition.

Needless to say, I slept well last night.
I woke up early Saturday morning to see the partial lunar eclipse (I know it's a bad picture...but it was the best I could do at 4am, trying not to wake everyone up).
Then I took Mckay, with binoculars and breakfast, to see the turkey vultures that we just found out about. They live in the trees above the apartment we lived in as newlyweds. Lee and I had seen them on Friday night while on our date, so I thought Mckay would enjoy going with me. We were a little disappointed to see that there were only about 5 of them in the trees and they soon flew west another block and we began gathering our stuff to leave. But, then one by one, they took off and before we knew it there were 30 of them circling overhead. Totally cool. That also answers my question about what type of birds I have seen circling for the past few years from the canyon cliffs, down to wherever the winds take them. I learned today that turkey vultures can circle on air currents without flapping their wings for up to 6 hours!
After our bird watching, I raced home to get the little kids to watch the children's parade. It has been a tradition of ours to ride in the children's parade every year, but I didn't have the energy to decorate bikes and faces and wait in the heat for our place in line. I was a horrible mother and didn't even TELL them that there was a parade this year. But, I snapped at the last minute and brought them back, telling them that watching was more fun anyway. They were easily convinced when they came home with pockets FULL of candy, no work required, and we sat in the shade the whole time. Maybe this will start a new and simpler tradition.
Needless to say, I slept well last night.
Comments
Post a Comment