The saga is almost over

Over Memorial Day weekend, we began removing our last Cottonwood tree because it was sending up root stumps all over our lawn. We saved lots of money by doing it ourselves and we were very careful to protect the little maple tree struggling to survive next to it. We had planted it 5 years ago in preparation for the day we'd have to remove the Cottonwood. I posted pictures of the venture way back then.

Finally, in July, we found someone who would come out and finish the job. We paid the guy way too much. He came over the weekend of the 4th of July, took forever to get the work done, and then left without finishing it, claiming he'd return the next week with better equipment. Mid August came and went and after trying to get 2 other stump removal people to come finish the job -- who never showed up -- we finally found this great company to do it. I cautioned him about the danger of working on our hill, which he assured me wouldn't be a problem for his skills in working the grinder. So, he came. And before starting, he had one technical difficulty after another. About 10 minutes into the job, he knocked on my back door and told me his grinder had tipped over and he was going to owe us a new tree. Plus he needed our help to push it upright. Plus, sorry about the gasoline that poured out onto the grass while it was upside down.

So, 6 weeks later, they have finally arrived to replace the tree. And, I must say that it is HUGE (comparatively). I feared that we would get this little sapling that would take 5 more years to establish itself. But, they made good on their promise. And it is a happy day.

About now, I bet they are wishing I'd warned them about how miserable it is to dig any depth in our horrible soil.

Comments

  1. That was quite the ordeal. Hooray for trees! I need to take a peek at your new addition.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Family Makes My Heart Happy

Longest Summer Ever

DOGS HATE ME!!