Christmas Presence
To help us focus more on the Savior this Christmas, our family is reading segments of "The Living Christ" published by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints several years ago.
Click here to read The Living Christ
It contains the testimony of the First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles regarding Christ's life and teachings. I broke it up into 15 pages with a few lines on each page, along with pictures that go along with the words (which I cut out of old church magazines). I was so excited to present it in Family Home Evening a few weeks ago. I hang a new one up in the kitchen every few days and we try to read them at dinner.
I don't know that we will be visibly changed by this project, but I do know that thinking about the Savior a few more times in our day than we normally would can only be a good thing.
I love the magic of Christmas. I love the excitement of Santa and the ways that he can make dreams come true. I love the magic that comes from parenthood as we also help make dreams come true. I love getting together with friends and family. I love the increased opportunities to serve that seem to arise at Christmas. And I love the songs and lessons and conversations that turn our thoughts more toward the Savior. But, it never feels like it's enough. Hence our "Living Christ" project.
So, it was with this in mind that I decided to watch the Christmas Devotional broadcast tonight. Admittedly, I think this is only the first time that I have watched it in its entirety. It was all good, but my favorite message came from President Uchtdorf. He addressed my concerns precisely and did so in a way that lifted my spirits. He gave me hope that I was headed in the right direction. He encouraged me to keep trying. And he reminded me that the other aspects of Christmas that bring the childlike wonder to the holiday season are all okay, as long as we take time to slow down and refocus.
I don't know why I feel so endeared to President Uchtdorf (maybe because he looks a little like my dad?), but his messages always seem to touch my heart -- like as if he is talking right to me. So, I wanted to share his message with you...maybe you will find joy in it, too:
Click here to listen to the 2010 First Presidency Christmas Devotional
The link takes you to the entire 60 minute broadcast. If you want to just listen to his talk, he is the first speaker, starting at 11 min and 50 seconds. He will make you laugh and make you feel loved. THAT is true Christmas magic.
Click here to read The Living Christ
It contains the testimony of the First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles regarding Christ's life and teachings. I broke it up into 15 pages with a few lines on each page, along with pictures that go along with the words (which I cut out of old church magazines). I was so excited to present it in Family Home Evening a few weeks ago. I hang a new one up in the kitchen every few days and we try to read them at dinner.
I don't know that we will be visibly changed by this project, but I do know that thinking about the Savior a few more times in our day than we normally would can only be a good thing.
I love the magic of Christmas. I love the excitement of Santa and the ways that he can make dreams come true. I love the magic that comes from parenthood as we also help make dreams come true. I love getting together with friends and family. I love the increased opportunities to serve that seem to arise at Christmas. And I love the songs and lessons and conversations that turn our thoughts more toward the Savior. But, it never feels like it's enough. Hence our "Living Christ" project.
So, it was with this in mind that I decided to watch the Christmas Devotional broadcast tonight. Admittedly, I think this is only the first time that I have watched it in its entirety. It was all good, but my favorite message came from President Uchtdorf. He addressed my concerns precisely and did so in a way that lifted my spirits. He gave me hope that I was headed in the right direction. He encouraged me to keep trying. And he reminded me that the other aspects of Christmas that bring the childlike wonder to the holiday season are all okay, as long as we take time to slow down and refocus.
I don't know why I feel so endeared to President Uchtdorf (maybe because he looks a little like my dad?), but his messages always seem to touch my heart -- like as if he is talking right to me. So, I wanted to share his message with you...maybe you will find joy in it, too:
Click here to listen to the 2010 First Presidency Christmas Devotional
The link takes you to the entire 60 minute broadcast. If you want to just listen to his talk, he is the first speaker, starting at 11 min and 50 seconds. He will make you laugh and make you feel loved. THAT is true Christmas magic.
It was a great broadcast - especially when we finally shipped Avery off to watch Barney upstairs. BTW - how fun to get your cute letter and see your blog. Glad your family is doing well. Elena
ReplyDelete