Was that "optho-" or "oto-"?

I've been sort of grumpy today -- mostly because when it rains it pours. So, before turning in to get some elusive rest, I wanted to indulge in something (my blog) that wasn't necessary to accomplish -- just because I can.

Wanting to focus on how blessed I am instead of how overwhelmed I feel, I thought I would share a story of a recently moronic incident.

A few weeks ago, I was up later than I should have been, trying to finish one last thing before the day was over. Lee had long since gone to bed so I was trying to get ready quietly. My eyes had been bothering me, so I quickly stopped to put eye drops in to soothe them so I could fall asleep. I dug to find the little sample bottle that was more moisturizing than the regular drops and quickly squeezed a drop into each eye. It burned more than I expected and suddenly I recognized (too late) that perhaps the impression I had to check the label on the bottle was a prompting that could have prevented the situation I had now caused. Yes, it's true. The eye drops were in fact Dillon's most recent antibiotic EAR drops. I quickly flushed my eyes with everything I could think of -- contact solution, more eye drops, water from the tap. My vision was fine and the burning wasn't anything alarming, so I said a quick prayer and lay in bed, cautiously aware of my eyes. As I lay there, trying to relax and fall asleep, I convinced myself that the burning was increasing as the "poison" incubated on the surface of my covered eyeball. So, I got up for another intense round of eye rinsing. It took awhile, but I eventually fell asleep and when I woke up in the morning, my eyes were fine. And Lee slept through the whole thing.

Maybe it was just luck and I would have been fine anyway, but I call it a blessing and am grateful that it ended well. I am grateful that I have been spared the experience of going through life without being able to see. Besides, can you imagine the shame in telling that story?

"So, how did you lose your eye sight?"
"I put ear drops in my eyes."

No glory in that one.

Comments

  1. Oh! -Just reading that story makes my eyes water!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the chuckle! Good thing we're saved from ourselves sometimes!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Family Makes My Heart Happy

Longest Summer Ever

DOGS HATE ME!!