Is Anybody Listening?
Tonight, during Family Home Evening, we were going through calendar items and it seemed like no one was listening. This annoys me because as thorough as I try to be, inevitably someone is "surprised" by something we have going on in the week and irritated that it affects them somehow and they "knew nothing about it." (That someone is usually Dad but we forgive him as he has much he does each day and can't be expected to also be the amazing administrative assistant that I am.)
So, just as I was grilling the kids on whether they'd heard what events they had and where they needed to be, I hear, "You look good with a horn." Of course, everyone turns at this off topic comment to find Lee with a wooden cylindrical block placed on Mckay's forehead like a unicorn. So much for me convincing myself that I was imagining they weren't listening.
As a second witness to the "not listening" theory, Sam then proceeded to teach the EXACT same lesson that I myself taught last week. She even argued with me that I was wrong when I pointed out that we'd had the same lesson just last week. Fortunately for her, it was a lesson which included the point that the reason we hear the same lessons over and over at church is because we need to be reminded of those principles and continue to learn from them.
And so for now, I continue to relate more and more to the teacher from Charlie Brown. Just for fun, I may decide to re-post this in a few weeks to see if anyone notices.
So, just as I was grilling the kids on whether they'd heard what events they had and where they needed to be, I hear, "You look good with a horn." Of course, everyone turns at this off topic comment to find Lee with a wooden cylindrical block placed on Mckay's forehead like a unicorn. So much for me convincing myself that I was imagining they weren't listening.
As a second witness to the "not listening" theory, Sam then proceeded to teach the EXACT same lesson that I myself taught last week. She even argued with me that I was wrong when I pointed out that we'd had the same lesson just last week. Fortunately for her, it was a lesson which included the point that the reason we hear the same lessons over and over at church is because we need to be reminded of those principles and continue to learn from them.
And so for now, I continue to relate more and more to the teacher from Charlie Brown. Just for fun, I may decide to re-post this in a few weeks to see if anyone notices.
I can just imagine this scenario going on. You always make me smile. :)
ReplyDeleteHa! Ha! Our problem is that I sometimes forget to take the calendar downstairs and am too lazy to go back up to get it. Then we just try to remember what's going on- which ALWAYS leaves big holes! I'd love to see McKay-or your whole family!- with unicorn horns. I'm thinking that would make a fun Christmas card!
ReplyDeleteWhah, whah, whah...is part of my daily speech. :)
ReplyDeleteBy the way, I really like your font and want to know what it is and how I can get it on my blog. Thanks for always making me smile!