It Takes a Village

I have often thought about how grateful I am that I already loved Lee's parents before their health started declining and their needs increased.  Because it's hard to care for people that have a lot of needs.  I imagine it would sometimes feel like a sacrifice that I wasn't willing to make if I didn't already love them.

Lee's mom has Alzheimer's and Lee's dad is mostly healthy, but his health and cognitive skills are slowing with age.  I am touched when I see how sweetly Lee's dad does his best to care for his wife of 59 years.  She is almost always unsatisfied, but she doesn't know how great she's got it.  I think he loves her more deeply now as her caregiver than he ever took the opportunity to show before.

Tonight, Lee's dad shared a story about how when he dropped E off at Relief Society today, "5 or 6 women swarmed around her and swept her away" from him, inviting her to sit by them and then they delivered her back into his care when the meeting was over.  Sometimes I worry that people avoid her because it is awkward, so it touched my heart to discover that she was being welcomed with open arms and cared for by others who loved her, too.

And with that reminder that she is loved by so many, suddenly the burden doesn't seem too heavy...at least for awhile.

Comments

  1. So Sweet. Hugs....love you guys :) I know you aren't looking for praise, but thank you for all you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet testimony of the power of love and of Relief Society. RS does't have a corner on the love market, but it sure does a great job of filling in the corners! And, yes, you are awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Family Makes My Heart Happy

Longest Summer Ever

DOGS HATE ME!!