Winter Begins

I was feeling a little hum-buggish this year about the arrival of Christmas and the holiday season.  More anxiety and stress than usual, I guess.  Plus my kids lost faith in me last year and I'm still sensitive about it.  But, that's another story for another day...

Lee insisted that we head up to SLC for the day on Saturday.  He said he "just wanted to walk around and enjoy being together."  So we left our kids with instructions to: "Watch movies all day.  No computer games.  Be nice to each other. (You have to remind them or they forget...)"  We rushed to make the train.  As we sat there, I thought out loud, "Dang!  I meant to bring cribbage so we could play it on the way!"  Lee smiled slyly and said, "That would have been a good idea!"  And then we began our cribbage game, because as it turned out, he had had the same thought.  A few moments later, I said, "We should have brought some of those bananas sitting on the counter.  That would have been a good snack."  He replied with the same smile, "Yes it would have.  Would you like one?"  Our ride was enjoyable, despite the fact that I only won the first of three cribbage games.  Lee talked halfway to SLC about how he would love to eat at that Dim Sum place near the station.  I'm not crazy about Dim Sum, but I mentally prepared myself for the sacrifice of eating there.  After all, I did have a banana I could eat when I was still hungry afterward.

When we arrived and transferred to Trax, he informed me that we were eating at a restaurant that he had picked out a few weeks ago.  It was called "Fifth and Pine," and as it turned out, it was located in Nordstroms.  But, the food was great and the view was lovely.  (I surprised myself by ordering something unusual.  I had "chicken and waffles -- "bacon infused cornbread waffles served with chicken strips on top and maple syrup.")

I was in shock at this point because I realized how nice it was to go on an excursion and not have to worry or prepare any details.  I felt like a queen.

Our next stop was at the Conference Center, where Lee had researched the opportunity to see a matinee performance of "Savior of the World."  We bought our tickets, then walked over to see the Norman Rockwell exhibit at the Church History Museum.  The show was surprisingly good.  It was a great way to kick off the Christmas season.

We took a tour of the Conference Center, then wandered around City Creek and Temple Square (where I made fun of Lee for being brighter than the light display) for another 45 minutes until the next train and then headed home.  I am said to report that I got "skunked" in our last game of cribbage this time.  But, on the upside, the mayor was on the train and he politely conversed with us.  He may have been racking his brain the entire time to figure out where he had seen us before, but it was kind of him to make us feel important.

Fast forward three days, and you will find yourself in a snowstorm that lasted over 24 hours.  We have a foot of snow out front and the temperature isn't supposed to get above freezing for awhile so it isn't going anywhere.  My trash can is sitting in the MIDDLE of the road because the snowplows haven't gotten anywhere near the curb.  School bus service on the east side was limited to main roads today because the buses are unable to navigate the hills.  My stairs and sidewalk are covered in ice, despite my best efforts to keep them clear.  (Notice the blue sky in the distance...I think we are in our own little climate zone down here!)

I have walked the kids to and from school the last two days.  It is a good workout!  I am a sucker for a nice walk in the snow.  I keep trying to encourage my friends to join me, but they politely decline.  (I imagine they are whispering "nut job" under their breath.)  So, it was a delightful surprise when another mom was walking her kids to school this morning and we were able to enjoy walking home together.  Ahhh.  The therapy effect of a good brisk walk with lively conversation!

My attitude has improved and the winter has been warmly welcomed in!

Now I should probably get out and buy some milk.  We ran out two days ago!

Comments

  1. It is obvious that you are a loved and loving woman. What a great date! Lee is the best. Your mother

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Family Makes My Heart Happy

Longest Summer Ever

DOGS HATE ME!!