Love's Pure Light


I've been trying really hard to focus on the true meaning of the Christmas season this year.  Two songs touched my heart on Sunday:

First, was during the Sacrament hymn.  Several phrases reminded me of what a gift the Savior has given each of us.  The last two verses, in particular, were great reminders that He is just waiting for us to accept His gift.

Bid thine heart all strife to cease;
With thy brethren be at peace.
Oh, forgive as thou wouldst be
E'en forgiven now by me.
In the solemn faith of prayer
Cast upon me all thy care,
And my Spirit's grace shall be
Like a fountain unto thee.

At the throne I intercede;
For thee ever do I plead.
I have loved thee as thy friend,
With a love that cannot end.
Be obedient, I implore,
Prayerful, watchful evermore,
And be constant unto me,
That thy Savior I may be.

Second, was during the closing hymn.  We sang Silent Night.  For the first time, I realized that the phrase, "Son of God, Love's pure light..." means that Jesus IS love's pure light, not that he loves it.  (I never paid attention to the apostrophe before!)

Thinking about this pure light of love, I appreciated the imagery in this music video combining The Piano Guys' "O Come, Emmanuel," and videos of the life of Christ put out by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  Click here to watch the music video of "O Come, Emmanuel"
An angel appears to the Shepherds, announcing the Savior's birth
Wouldn't it be nice if we could become so much like the Savior that we had a visible glow about us?  Or that people felt loved just being near us?

Comments

  1. I think my last comment disappeared. I'll try to recreate it:

    I've had the same epiphany this year about "Son of God, Love's pure light". How did I miss that all these years?! Totally changes the meaning of the verse. I bet he does love pure light, though!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Family Makes My Heart Happy

Longest Summer Ever

DOGS HATE ME!!