Custom Made Classrooms
I visited with a good friend today about how our lives have
unfolded and why we made the choices that we did. She articulated it very well and I loved it
so I wanted to capture it in words before I forgot.
She said that she has had life “classrooms” that were custom made
for her. These classrooms allowed her to
have experiences and opportunities and learn lessons that molded her into the
person she needed to be. They put
mentors in her path along the way to model or teach things at just the right
time. They taught her how to be
organized, how to communicate, how to work hard. They allowed her to get the education she
loved and to have a job in the career she dreamed of having. They taught her that being a mother and wife
needed to take precedence over any other obligation she had. They taught her how to treat her “job” as a
mother and wife like it was her employment so she could have a schedule and
expectations and find joy and satisfaction in the tasks there were to perform.
We talked for an hour, so obviously this is a truncated
version of our “findings.” However, it
made me contemplate what my “classrooms” in life were and how they molded me
into who I am. My lessons and mentors
taught me to work hard and that I could be anything I wanted to be. They taught me to share my talents and skills
whenever the occasion arose, even if I wasn’t perfect at them. I learned to be organized and efficient. I learned to feel comfortable talking to
people – even if I don’t know them well.
I learned to have faith in God’s plan for me and to do my best to be
obedient and follow the counsel I receive along the way. I, too, was able to obtain a great education
and to have a job immediately after graduating.
I had opportunities to travel as part of my education – where I could
learn new skills and meet new people and have new adventures. All of these things together made me feel
like I had really lived and made marriage and motherhood a natural transition
and not a sacrifice. And thanks to life’s
classroom that was custom-made for me, I have never had regrets with the paths
I have chosen. (Bad days and mistakes
along the way, but never a regret at the path.)
| I thought it would be fitting to insert a "classroom" like photo here- this is us at Yale |
| Nectarine blossoms in my backyard |
That having been said, sometimes your children or friends
grow weary of you pointing out the beautiful blossoms (or the way the sun
shines on the tips of the mountains at 7:30am), but it doesn’t mean those things aren’t
beautiful and meaningful to you. Keep finding joy in the things that bring you joy and don’t
be discouraged if someone else’s idea of “perfect” doesn’t align with yours. Trust God (the master teacher in this classroom
analogy) above the input of your fellow students and let Him be the mentor that
makes the biggest difference in your life.
| Sunset in the Adirondacks |
Comments
Post a Comment