Graduation, Part 2 OR Oh My Ganoche! There are so many things to be excited about around here!

No need to beat a dead horse, so I'll just say that the 2nd part of graduation, the one where he got his high school diploma, was attended as begrudgingly as the 1st one.  I set my sights low due to the unhappiness about attending, and this photo was my only wish.  I thought it was an appropriate building on campus to stand next to.

 I have never attended a graduation where, after they read the graduate's name, they also told us the university or college that each student would be attending, as well as every scholarship they had received.  Out of the admittedly small class of 124 students, only TWO of them were not going on to college.  After their names, the teacher read only the words, "she will be pursuing her professional acting career" and "he will be advancing as a professional mountain biker."  At least they were certain about what they loved...because it is important to find joy in your work!

Lee and I took our bikes and the train to the Thanksgiving Point Gardens to celebrate his birthday.  He was jumping for joy at the opportunity to be with me probably.  I was mostly glad that the owl (that got startled and flew out of a tree and then directly over my open mouth) missed.


We recently had a "service auction" for a scout camp fundraiser, and I have thoroughly enjoyed the items I have successfully redeemed thus far.  First was 3 hours of yard work which I used to have them pull back the grass from around our back porch, then dump wheelbarrows full of dirt, gradually sloping it so that water will drain away from our porch instead of down toward our foundation.

Second was this divine "Chocolate Ganache Cheesecake" from my super talented neighbor that I strategically had delivered on Mother's Day.  It still makes my mouth water to think about it.  (Yes, I'm wearing a crown.)

On a side note, I shared my culinary and linguistic expertise when I informed my family that the ganache was the hard chocolate on the outside.  They asked me what it meant, and though it wouldn't have been that hard to look up, I told them confidently (since I'm the only one that speaks French) that "ganache" is the French word for "scab"--you know, because it is a hard outer covering on something?  As we worked away on that deliciously rich cake for the next few days, requests came like this, "Are we having scab cake after dinner tonight?  That was SO good!"  I hope my children realize how lucky they are to have a linguistic expert in the family.

(I just looked it up, finally.  "Ganache" comes from the French word for "jowl"--maybe because if you eat too much of it, that is what you will have?)

Comments

  1. Congrats McKay! Miss you Lisa! Hope all is great with you guys! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Family Makes My Heart Happy

Longest Summer Ever

DOGS HATE ME!!