On Goals and Progress...
I have been trying for years to be a "nicer person" and it seems elusive at times. My most recent goal was to not be a complainer. So, I have been chanting my new mantra whenever I feel the urge to complain..."I am not a complainer. I am not a complainer." Sorry for those of you who hear me chanting...A LOT. The temptation is real!
I had to give you that pre-story so you could appreciate the Snickers bar Lee and I shared on our hike on Monday! It was as if the forces of nature were conspiring against my desire to progress! I will not be defeated!
We hiked 9 miles on Labor Day. This was my biggest hike since my surgery, so it was a major accomplishment for me. We started at the canyon parking lot above our house and walked along the shoreline trail until the Y, where we then huffed and puffed along with hundreds of others. At the top of the Y, we departed to the right and headed up the canyon then around behind the mountains for another hour or so. Finally, after stopping briefly to watch a moose chomp on nearby bushes, we reached the top of Slate Canyon and began the grueling downhill portion. It was beautiful. The fall colors were gorgeous and the temperature was just right. It always feels good to accomplish something hard. (It only took me 4 days before I could walk downhill without feeling like my legs were going to collapse under me.)
Another goal I have had is to keep in touch with my family members more. I have helped organize more family gatherings to facilitate this. Though I'm sure there are some who wish we wouldn't get together so often, I have enjoyed the bonding that these gatherings have enabled. Hurray for reconnecting with people we love!
The last goal I wish to mention is the one that Ian scored in his game this week! It was beautiful and he delighted all of us (and himself) with the amazing lift up and over everyone and into the goal.
Making a goal is rewarding, no matter which kind. But I hope my Snickers Bars are more optimistic in the future!
Life is good.
I had to give you that pre-story so you could appreciate the Snickers bar Lee and I shared on our hike on Monday! It was as if the forces of nature were conspiring against my desire to progress! I will not be defeated!
We hiked 9 miles on Labor Day. This was my biggest hike since my surgery, so it was a major accomplishment for me. We started at the canyon parking lot above our house and walked along the shoreline trail until the Y, where we then huffed and puffed along with hundreds of others. At the top of the Y, we departed to the right and headed up the canyon then around behind the mountains for another hour or so. Finally, after stopping briefly to watch a moose chomp on nearby bushes, we reached the top of Slate Canyon and began the grueling downhill portion. It was beautiful. The fall colors were gorgeous and the temperature was just right. It always feels good to accomplish something hard. (It only took me 4 days before I could walk downhill without feeling like my legs were going to collapse under me.)
Another goal I have had is to keep in touch with my family members more. I have helped organize more family gatherings to facilitate this. Though I'm sure there are some who wish we wouldn't get together so often, I have enjoyed the bonding that these gatherings have enabled. Hurray for reconnecting with people we love!
The last goal I wish to mention is the one that Ian scored in his game this week! It was beautiful and he delighted all of us (and himself) with the amazing lift up and over everyone and into the goal.
Making a goal is rewarding, no matter which kind. But I hope my Snickers Bars are more optimistic in the future!
Life is good.
Comments
Post a Comment