Farewell to a Giant


I'm sitting here listening to the hum of the newly installed hospital bed in my father in law's room.  On Christmas Eve 2018 he told me he wasn't going to live to have another birthday.  He will turn 90 in 2 1/2 weeks, but I think he was right that he isn't going to make it.  It is sad to see him suffering with the pain of his body shutting down.   However, it feels more like a celebration to know that he has lived a good life and is ready to return home to his Father in Heaven.  He will get to see his wife, who he has missed dearly for 5 years (more than that if you count the years she was already "gone" while she suffered with Alzheimer's).  I am happy for him that he will not have to suffer anymore.

Even in death, the man is nothing but kindness and selflessness.  Up until this last week, he has asked continuously, "What can I do to help?"  He rarely complained even when it was obvious that he was uncomfortable.  He was loving and excited to see any of us that stopped by, even when he probably couldn't recognize us anymore.

I am grateful that I was able to love him and be loved by him.  I am grateful for the things I have learned from living so close to him for the last 16 years.  I am immensely grateful for the example he has been to my kids and the love and admiration they all have for him.  We are lucky to have had such a great man in our lives.

Comments

  1. Wonderful testament of a man loved by thousands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. He was my Bishop when I prepared to serve a mission after joining the Church. He came to visit my non-member mother to tenderly take care to ensure she understood how all that would go, and answer her questions. He and sister Jensen always made me feel part of the ward family. God bless. Joe Seiley

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Family Makes My Heart Happy

Longest Summer Ever

DOGS HATE ME!!