Hiking to Heaven

On Saturday, we celebrated 26 years of marriage by hiking to the top of the world with some friends.  Some of the things that were said in meetings I attended yesterday reminded me that it was an analogy for life here on earth and our journey back to live with our Father in Heaven.

1.  Sometimes we think we know what we signed up for.
HIKING:  It took about 4 hours round-trip last time, right?
HEAVEN:  I've seen other people do this and it looked super easy.

2.  Sometimes we think we won't make it and can't go on.
HIKING:  My heart is pounding and my legs are shaking.  Plus I have blisters the entire length of my big toes.
HEAVEN:  This is way too hard for me.  I don't have the skills (or faith) to endure this any longer.
3.  Friends make the journey much more enjoyable.
HIKING:  Talking and laughing and sharing together makes the time fly.  (4 hours became 7)  And the journey seem less difficult. (Blisters?  What blisters?  Full bladder?  I can make it another 30 minutes...)
HEAVEN:  I'm so glad that she has already been through this because I admire her and can learn from her example.

4.  The hardest parts don't last forever.
HIKING:  It's got to flatten out at the top, at least, huh?  (If you think this was bad going up, think of how hard it will be going down!!)  Just take one step at a time and keep breathing.
HEAVEN:  One day at a time.  Eventually I learn to function with the "new normal" and things don't feel so hard.
5.  It's always better if you stop and look around.
HIKING:  The views keep you inspired and grateful to be on the journey.
HEAVEN:  Noticing the miracles and joy that pop up throughout each day bring happiness and motivate me to keep moving.

6.  It's not as hard if we are trying to help others along their way.
HIKING:  Many a mile has passed singing a song or telling a story to distract and encourage someone else to keep moving.
HEAVEN:  When I worry about how others are doing, I notice my own difficulties less -- or at least they don't overwhelm me as much.
Anyway...you get the idea.  
HIKING:  We started out on a journey that we had underestimated.  We all wanted to reach our goal and were ok with the fact that it was longer and harder than anticipated.  We were tired, but were with people we love and surrounded by beauty that inspired us.  We did our best and took our time and helped each other.  And the rewards were great.

HEAVEN:  I was reminded yesterday that in our eternal journey, we can never hope to make it alone.  But, we will have people to walk that journey with us, and our Savior to help us through the hard parts.  We just need to keep our hearts and eyes focused on that goal and the rewards at the end of that journey are more beautiful than we can even imagine.

Here's how Dieter F. Uchtdorf said it:
"No matter how bleak the chapter of our lives may look today, because of the life and sacrifice of Jesus Christ, we may hope and be assured that the ending of the book of our lives will exceed our grandest expectations."

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Family Makes My Heart Happy

Longest Summer Ever

DOGS HATE ME!!