"Picture Perfect" Christmas
MOO-RY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!! (From our COLD Christmas Day bike ride)
I recently read these two reminders about social media:
"We never really know what's going on in people's lives beyond what they choose to share on carefully filtered feeds."
"...when we believe someone is perfect, we just haven't seen all the details."
Several years ago, I was saddened when a friend suggested that people were probably depressed by my yearly Christmas card update. Apparently, me trying to focus on the positive aspects of the year sent the message that my children were perfect and life was bliss. I recognize that the happy parts of life are not true reality, but it doesn't seem right to send out a Christmas card with only the "lowlights" listed.
2020 was full of challenges. It was emotionally painful to watch my young adult children have their life plans upended or to make choices I never had to make. It was physically painful to have a back injury as my constant friend. It was financially painful to lose travel plans and pay for endless trips to a doctor or therapist instead. It was mentally painful to have to adjust to everyone being in each other's space. It was hard to exist in a world filled with so much strife, where we second guessed our every comment or action, for fear we were inadvertently offending someone. You get the idea because you lived much of that, too.
But life can be filled with joy, so I choose to focus on that.
No one came home for Christmas. But it was still awesome. Thanks to the miracles of modern technology, we were able to spend quality time with our kids, siblings, and parents. In some ways, it was even better than other years. We mailed presents and opened them over Zoom. We scanned game cards and played them together over Zoom. We took pictures of things that made us smile. We played computer games remotely. We thought more about the gifts and messages we shared because we only had a short time to share them. We made extra effort to reach out to people we couldn't see in person because we knew it mattered. We even sent Amazon receipts so people could return gifts they didn't like -- all without the usual large gathering we were used to. And it worked. And we made happy memories. Here are some of my favorite memories:
Yes, there were also disagreements and tantrums, physical and emotional pains, sickness and weather that made things less ideal. But life is good. The hard times make us stronger and the good times hold us over. I'm grateful that my life isn't perfect, but I won't apologize for choosing to share mostly good stuff with those I love. I'm grateful for the memories -- both good and bad!

















Love it all. Love you.
ReplyDelete