Validation
Whenever we have a disagreement in our home (you know...the REALLY important kind, like over how to say the word "scriptures" in Spanish or whether I REALLY liked liverwurst sandwiches as a kid), we call my parents to prove that I am right, which I usually am.
Last night, however, we couldn't resolve it with a call to my parents because they wouldn't have known. I had recited a line from the Neil Diamond song "Heart Light" and Lee was surprised that I knew it and then he referred to it as the E.T. song. I had no idea what he was talking about and then he informed me that it was written in reference to the E.T. movie. I was sure he was wrong because I had always heard it as a love song (never mind that Neil Diamond is singing about being sad that "he" had to go away from him). Needless to say, a quick trip to Wikipedia and Youtube proved that I was, in fact, ignorant of this information.
Heartlight music video
So, now I seek validation. Am I the only child of the 80s who didn't know the connections that Neil Diamond had with E.T.? Or is this news to you, too?
Last night, however, we couldn't resolve it with a call to my parents because they wouldn't have known. I had recited a line from the Neil Diamond song "Heart Light" and Lee was surprised that I knew it and then he referred to it as the E.T. song. I had no idea what he was talking about and then he informed me that it was written in reference to the E.T. movie. I was sure he was wrong because I had always heard it as a love song (never mind that Neil Diamond is singing about being sad that "he" had to go away from him). Needless to say, a quick trip to Wikipedia and Youtube proved that I was, in fact, ignorant of this information.
Heartlight music video
So, now I seek validation. Am I the only child of the 80s who didn't know the connections that Neil Diamond had with E.T.? Or is this news to you, too?
Sorry, I have to side with Lee on this one. They do play it as a love song, though. When you think about it in relation to ET it kind of seems a little strange. Oh well. Hollywood never talks to me about their plans.
ReplyDeleteI always think of it as E.T.'s song too. Sorry. :)
ReplyDelete