Year of the Tiger book review
I know technically it's the year of the snake, but I was thinking about how much "Tiger" literature my family has been reading this year and decided I'd share some of my new-found tiger wisdom.
First there was the book, "Battle Hymn of a Tiger Mother." It was here that I learned that maybe being a dabbler is okay...especially if I want to have one less thing to argue with my kids over. It affirmed that my daily nagging about piano practicing was NOT over the top. And, it reminded me to be grateful that my kids have learned to work hard, but they also know how to have fun. A good reminder about finding balance in all things.
- Tigers attack from behind, so some hunters in tiger territory wear masks on the back of their heads to confuse the tiger.
- There are 6 different tiger subspecies, not just the two (Siberian and Bengal) that are commonly showcased in zoos.
- Tigers are good swimmers -- actually the only cat that likes the water. This knowledge came in handy in my latest tiger reading.
My most recent tiger read was "Life of Pi," which I am embarrassed to admit I was duped into believing was at least partially true. It's documentary/narrative style was so authentic that I assumed it was based on a true story...until I got to the part about the Meerkat island...okay and the blind part... I suppose it is okay to have been duped because the coolest message I got from this book was about why we believe what we believe, specifically from a religious perspective of not needing to see something with our own eyes in order for it to exist or to have really happened. I found it to be very thought provoking.
It's not often that I get to sit down and enjoy a good read. Usually I indulge in things I can finish quickly or cookbooks or inspirational stuff. So, to have read two deep and conflict-filled books in one year is something worth sharing!
I am looking forward to "Life of Pi" coming out on DVD next week. Four of us read and enjoyed the book, so it will be a nice treat to watch the movie together as a family.
Happy reading!


Comments
Post a Comment